A HEART-TO-HEART GUIDE FOR GIRLS ENTERING PUBERTY
Entering puberty is a special, yet often tumultuous and confusing time for young girls, especially when solid advice and mentorship are scarce and social systems do not support it. Mommy, my body’s changing aims to create a positive experience for young girls entering puberty by educating and empowering them and their parents/guardians in a simple, non-threatening, culturally and age appropriate, celebratory manner.
Leading Ob-Gynae-Sexologist, Dr Mpume Zenda, dispels myths and taboos associated with puberty and menstruation, and shares practical advice and down-to-earth wisdom to empower young girls to effectively manage and embrace this new and exciting stage of their lives with dignity, awareness and self-love.
This book also helps to:
- Create a safe space and trusting environment for adolescent girls to confide in their parents/guardians on all aspects of entering and dealing with puberty.
- Instill a culture and attitude that celebrates a girl’s coming of age.
- Prepare girls for menstruation and the physical, emotional and psychological changes that it brings.
- Help girls adequately prepare for their first period and so reduce the stress and anxiety that accompanies such an event.
- Help girls develop good menstrual hygiene practices and self-care routines.
- Provide parents and caregivers with accurate, yet appropriate information when having those ‘difficult conversations’ and equip them with the skills needed to provide the support their coming-of-age girls need.
About the author
Dr Mpume Zenda, aka Dr Gynae, is a practising Ob-Gynae-Sexologist and the founder of We See You, a health and
information consultancy that seeks to provide solutions for sexual and reproductive health and wellness by connecting
media with medicine. She is a member of numerous international societies of sexual medicine and a passionate leader
of women’s sexual health advocacy in Africa and beyond.
In addition to her work in medicine, Dr Gynae is also a highly respected social media influencer with a dedicated
following. She is best known for her regular appearances on Mzansi Magic’s TV show, Sunday Sexy Love, where she helps celebrity couples navigate their relationships and intimacy. Additionally, Dr Gynae is a frequent guest doctor on
Showmax’s online show, Sex and Pleasure, where she shares her knowledge and expertise on sexual health and wellness.